My entire family loves Chinese takeout, but with six of us, it can be very expensive. Luckily for us, it’s much cheaper and much healthier to make it ourselves. This bison fried cauliflower rice is loaded with flavor and packed with healthy ingredients. Plus, it can be whipped up in about the same amount of time that it would take to drive to the local takeout restaurant.
Bison vs Beef
First, this recipe uses ground bison. Now, if you prefer ground beef, go ahead and use that instead. I like to use ground bison when I can because it’s lower in calories, higher in protein and has less fat. It’s also packed with iron, zinc, B12, selenium and Omega-3 fats. Plus, because of industry standards and federal regulations, bison is usually raised without the use of hormones and antibiotics. Plus, some people even say that bison is better for the environment because bison produce less greenhouse gas, and because their grazing habits help keep the ecosystem in check. It does cost more than ground beef, but for us, I think the benefits outweigh the cost.
This recipe also uses cauliflower rice in place of regular rice. Rice can sometimes cause an inflammatory reaction for some people, so some people avoid it. Now, in my family we haven’t had any adverse reactions, so we do eat it on occasion. However, in this particular recipe, I really wanted to increase the number of vegetables. Cauliflower rice is a fantastic way to do that. Plus, a lot of stores now carry frozen cauliflower rice so making it has become so easy. I buy it in bulk from our local BJs Wholesale Club. The only ingredient is cauliflower, and it saves me quite a bit of time.
AdventuresofaCavemom.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We may earn a commission if you make a purchase through one of our links. We are not endorsed or sponsored by Amazon.
- 16 oz ground Bison
- 2 tablespoon Coconut Aminos
- 2 tablespoon mirin
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 large, Egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 15 oz Sweet Peas
- .5 cup carrots, shredded
- 0.50 cups Coconut Aminos
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tsps maple syrup
- 1 container (4 cups ea.), Cauliflower Rice
- In a very large skillet, saute pan or wok, heat avocado oil over high heat.
- Add eggs and scramble, breaking up into smaller pieces. Cook until firm. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Brown ground bison, garlic, 2 tbs coconut aminos, ginger and mirin well over high heat in the same pan used for the eggs. When there is no liquid or fat left from the meat, that is when it is properly browned and cooked.
- Add the cauliflower rice to the same pan as the meat, stirring to combine
- Add the coconut aminos, sesame oil, cooked eggs, maple syrup,peas and carrots. Add more coconut aminos to taste if needed. Stir fry until heated through. Serve immediately
- Serves 6-8 as a main meal.
For more great recipes, check out my recipe gallery.