This spice marinated salmon with mango salsa combines warm smokey flavors, delicious maple syrup and is topped with a sweet and juicy mango salsa.
Spice Marinated Salmon with Mango Salsa
One of the struggles we have in our house is getting the kids to eat different types of food. All four of them will now eat white fish without a problem. More flavorful fish, however, often presents a problem. To create this salmon, however, I added flavors that I know they like to make this meal a winner.
Warm, smokey spices
Everyone in my family enjoys the flavors of cumin, paprika, and chili powder. The kids can be picky if something is too spicy, but for the most part, these flavors are almost always successful. I added a little maple syrup into the marinade as well, to add a touch of sweetness to the fish as well.
Sweet Mango Salsa
My kids love mango, so I knew that there would no issues with them eating it. Red onion, however, is usually not their favorite. The addition of a jalapeno, in my opinion, would have been awesome in this salsa. I knew that there was no way that my kids would eat it, though, so I left it out. You win some, you lose some, right?
I served this spice marinated salmon with mango salsa over white rice. Nobody in our household reacts negatively to rice, so we eat it on occasion. More often than not, however, cauliflower rice is our choice for this meal. Other times, we eat it with a huge side of oven-roasted vegetables or even a big salad on the side. It all depends on what we have in the house.
AdventuresofaCavemom.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We may earn a commission if you make a purchase through one of our links. We are not endorsed or sponsored by Amazon.
- 2-3 Salmon fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 ripe mango, cut into chunks
- 1/2 jalapeno, chopped very small (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 of a red onion, chopped small
- The juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the marinade ingredients except for the salmon.
- Place the salmon in an oven safe dish and pour the marinate over the top.
- Allow to marinate for at least 3 hours.
- Broil the salmon in the oven for about 7 minutes or until it flakes with a fork.
- Add all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Spoon the salsa over the top of the salmon before serving
For more creat recipes, check out my recipe gallery.