This spicy cashew chicken is easy, delicious, and ready in no time. Crispy vegetables, tender chicken and tossed in a sweet and spicy sauce.
Spicy Cashew Chicken
If you follow me over on Instagram, you may recognize this recipe. I shared it there a few weeks ago. I wanted to add it to my blog as well, though, for any of who may not be on Instagram.
My children have decided lately that they hate anything with chicken in it. Or anything spicy. They do, however, love vegetables. So much so that we now keep a vegetable tray in the refrigerator for snacking. The only reason that my kids were willing to even try this spicy cashew chicken was that it was full of tender-crisp vegetables. Once they tried it though, most of them were fans of it.
Veggies, Veggies and More Veggies!
With this dish, use what you have on hand for vegetables. I used carrots, snap peas, peppers, onions, and broccoli. If I have cauliflower on hand, I will add that. Or even some zucchini and summer squash sliced into matchsticks. I also use frozen peppers and onions when I make this. It’s just a bit easier for me. I buy the mixed bags of organic peppers and onions from BJs Wholesale Club. (And for the record, I’m not endorsed or sponsored or affiliated with BJs, I just happen to shop there a lot).
Since I add so many vegetables to this dish, we eat it just the way it is. If you eat rice, though, feel free to serve it over rice, or cauliflower rice. Any of those options would be delicious. Do whatever works best for you and your family.
AdventuresofaCavemom.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We may earn a commission if you make a purchase through one of our links. We are not endorsed or sponsored by Amazon.
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts — (about 2 large), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 bag frozen peppers and onions
- 1 large head of broccoli — cut into florets (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups snap peas
- 2/3 cup dry roasted — unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2.5 tablespoons honey — plus additional to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic — minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high. Once the oil is hot and shiny, add the chicken and sauté for 4 minutes, just until lightly browned.
- Add the peppers, onions, broccoli, carrots, and snap peas. Continue sautéing until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 additional minutes. Stir in the cashews and cook for 30 additional seconds.
- While the chicken and vegetables are cooking, prepare the sauce.
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup, stir together the coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey, ginger, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Taste and add additional honey and/or red pepper flakes as desired (I added an additional 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes). Pour the sauce over the skillet and toss to coat.
If you like this recipe, check out more here.